Everyone back home will be busy preparing Diwali snacks, the air will be filled with joy and festivities! It’s that time of the year again :(- when I miss being at home the most! So here is a recipe that I tried to make me feel better 🙂
Mathri is a Rajasthani snack. It is a kind of flaky biscuit from north-west region of India. The basic recipe is made from flour, water, and cumin seeds. It is served with mango, chilli or lemon pickle along with tea. It’s the most common snack prepared in every household during Diwali!
There are a number of variations of the recipe, my favorite is the fenugreek flavored one, particularly because of their sharp and slightly bitter flavor. Mathris are usually deep fried, but I have made the baked version which is equally irresistible! 🙂
Baked Punjabi Mathri
- 2 cups All purpose ﬂour
- 1/2 cup whole Wheat ﬂour
- 3 tablespoons Clariﬁed Butter [Ghee]
- 6 tablespoons Water or as required
- 2 teaspoons Carom seeds
- 2 teaspoons Black Pepper, crushed coarsely
- 2 teaspoons dry Fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida (optional)
- A pinch of Baking soda
- Salt as required
Preparing the dough:
- First heat the ghee. Take the hot ghee and ﬂour, whole wheat ﬂour, all the spices, salt and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- Mix everything well and rub the fat evenly in the ﬂour with your ﬁngertips. the whole mixture should resemble breadcrumbs.
- Just add 1 or 2 tbsp of water each time and only mix the dough.
- When the whole mixture can be easily clumped or gathered together into a ball, cover and keep aside for 30 mins.
- Pinch small balls from the dough. lust roll them lightly in your palms to even them. no need to give them a proper round shape, etc.
- Keep the balls covered so that they do not dry out.
- Flatten each ball with a rolling pin to medium thickness.
- Prick each piece with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 356F.
- Prepare the circular mathris as mentioned above.
- Place in a pan or tray and bake for 20-30 minutes or till light golden.
- After 10-12 minutes, turn over the mathris for even baking and browning.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.