Mawa cakes have been a menu staple in Irani cafes at Mumbai and Pune. I remember standing in queue for almost an hour to just get a bite of the mawa cakes from the famous Kayani Bakery, in Pune! Yess, it was totally worth it 😉
But here in US, I don’t really have the option of having them 😦 And when I visit Mumbai, there’s always a time crunch!
So, I tried to make these on my own and they turned out pretty good. Took me back in time 🙂 The recipe is super easy and its healthy since it uses wheat flour and its eggless!
I added a twist to them. Instead of just having the plain cupcakes, I adorned them with a mawa misri ladoo ( recipe here!) and sprinkled some confectionary sugar on the top. Then to add some color I added an edible rice paper flower! (P.S: I got the idea of adding rice paper toppers on cupcakes from a group that I follow on facebook! Euphoric Delights — its pretty awesome!).
– Instead of using whole wheat flour you can use all purpose flour or both all purpose and wheat flour in a 50-50 ratio!
– Add nuts to the cake batter, to make nutty cakes for tea time!
– If you are making a cake, instead of cupcakes — bake for 45 mins!
Hope you enjoy it!
Eggless Mawa Cupcakes Topped with Mawa Misri Ladoos
- 2 cups Whole Wheat ﬂour
- 1 cup tightly packed, crumbled Khoya
- 1 cup Whole milk
- 4 tablespoon Cream
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- A teaspoon Baking soda
- 11 tablespoons unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C / 356 degrees F.
- Crumble the khoya and keep aside.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and ﬂuffy. Add the crumbled khoya and mix very well.
- Then add the flour sieved with baking soda and baking powder directly into the cake mixture. Sprinkle the cardamom powder. Pour the milk and cream.
- Fold everything till the ﬂour, milk and cream are incorporated well in the cake batter.
- Pour the cake batter in the cupcakes pan.
- Place the pan in the pre heated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or till the top browns.
- Cool completely before serving.