One of the things that I miss about India, is the fantastic range of street food that you get in every nook and corner — right from pav bhaji to bhelpuris .. yummm! Also, never does the chaats at two vendors taste alike – everyone has their own little “secret” ingredient which is not disclosed 🙂
Cucumber sticks are a really easy and healthy snack to have on hand for when those spice cravings hit. The predominant flavor is chaat masala, a combination of savory, fragrant, and salty spices. I remember having these on my trip to a small city in Rajasthan. These were like life savers for us in the scorching heat!
– Chaat Masala is easily available in any Indian Store. I prefer using the brands Everest or MDH. You can also make chaat masala at home using this recipe: http://www.thetiffinbox.ca/…/recently-i-have-been-on-this-h…
– You can prepare the cucumber and onions ahead of time and chill. Sprinkle with the spices just before serving.
– Go easy on the salt, as chaat masala already has salt in it.
– Indian vendors will leave the seeds in. These make the final dish a bit watery. So, if you want, scoop out the seeds using a melon baller or a grapefruit spoon.
– For a portable snack, mix together the chaat masala, chili powder, and salt in a small container. Squeeze lime juice into another container. Skip the onions and cilantro. Dip fresh cucumber sticks into the lime juice, then into the spice mix, and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy it! 🙂
Spiced Cucumber Sticks with Chaat Masala
- 1 small Onion, ﬁnely diced
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- Flaked Sea Salt, to taste
- Small handful finely chopped Cilantro
- 1 lime, quartered, to serve
- Peel and halve the cucumbers. Slice the cucumber into sticks and dry them thoroughly with paper towel.
- Meanwhile, place the finely diced onions in a bowl, and cover with cold water. Let sit for about 15 minutes, then drain and pat dry. This helps draw out the raw spiciness of the onions and mellows out their ﬂavor.
- Place the cucumber on a serving plate and sprinkle with onions, chaat masala, chili powder, and a crumble of ﬂaked salt. Garnish with the chopped cilantro and squeeze a little lime juice before eating.