A moist, sweet, cake-like quick bread combining the sweetness of bananas with the bitterness of chocolate!
Banana bread is a sweet bread made with a batter that is full of mashed bananas, ground cinnamon, and toasted nuts. Some may also have chocolate in them, like the one here. It was first baked in the United States and became very popular because it was so easy to make. It is different from most breads because it is a quick bread. If you look at the pictures below, you will see that it’s almost like thin slices of cake. So what’s the difference between a “quick bread” and a “cake”? As always google comes to my rescue 😉
“Quick breads are made with leavening such as baking powder rather than yeast. They are mixed together like muffins (dry ingredients together, wet ingredients together, combine the two and stir as little as possible). They don’t need time to rise; you can bake them immediately. They can be sweet (like banana bread) or savory (like cheddar and onion bread).Cake is similarly made but is lighter in texture and may use pastry (cake) flour, which has less gluten in it. This means the batter will be more tender and light.”
Hmmm, so the two mostly differ in the technique used to create the batter and a few ingredients! I guess, that should be good for now .. let’s get down to baking some quick bread!
Banana & Chocolate Bread
- 170 grams Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 170 grams Powdered sugar
- 135 grams Cocoa Powder
- 280 grams All purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Bananas, small over ripened
- Handful of walnuts to sprinkle
- Grease and line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the butter in a saucepan and set over a low flame till the butter has melted. Add the sugar, giving it a stir. Let the sugar dissolve. Turn off the heat.
- Beat the eggs and mash the bananas with a fork in a jug.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, salt and soda together, sieving the soda to avoid lumps. Add egg and banana mixture.
- Add the sugar mixture and fold well.
- Fold in 3/4 of the walnuts and pour this batter into the loaf tin. Sprinkle some more walnuts on top and bake it for 45mins or till the skewer comes out clean.
– Instead of cocoa powder, you can use equal grams of dark or milk chocolate.
– You can mix in choco chips instead of nuts or a combination of both.