A colorful, light, vegan and gluten free nutritious salad!
We all know that brightly colored fruits and vegetables are our best source of phytonutrients, but recent research has recognized black beans as a strong contender in phytonutrient benefits. The seed coat of the black bean (the outermost part that we recognize as the bean’s surface) is an outstanding source of three anthocyanin flavonoids: delphinidin, petunidin, and malvidin.[Source: whfoods]
Woah! Isn’t that great?
The cilantro dressing brings a whole new level of flavor and freshness that’s hard to beat. You can serve it right away or make it ahead of time and chill it in refrigerator, so that it is ready to go whenever you are!
Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro Dressing
- Large head of Romaine
- 15 oz. Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large orange bell Pepper
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 cups Corn
- 5 green Onions
- 1 Avocado (Optional)
- 1 cup loosely packed Cilantro, and roughly chopped
- 1/2 Avocado (or 1/2 cup plain Vegan yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Lime juice (about 1/2 lime), more to taste
- 1-2 Garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white wine Vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- Make the dressing: puree all ingredients In a food processor/blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Finely chop romaine, bell tomatoes. and green onions.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Toss with desired dressing.
Hope you enjoy it!