The most common way to eat grapefruit is to either smother it with sugar or to eat it from a can loaded with sugar syrup. Either ways, we try to mask out the natural bitter, tangy and acid flavors of the fruit under a mask of sweetness. So instead of consuming so much sugar, should we just give up on the fruit?
Well hold on, not so soon 😉 Grapefruit is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants. Research also shows that it is effective in lowering the cholesterol levels. So give this recipe a try and enjoy the health benefits of this delicious and healthy fruit! Broiling any fruit for few minutes caramelizes it, topping it with honey and a few slices of bananas increases the sweetness quotient. Afraid of eating grapefruits?! Not any more 🙂
Broiled Grapefruit with Honey and Bananas
- 1 Grapefruit
- Ground ginger
- Banana slices
- Prepare oven for broiling. Position oven rack on top.
- Cut grapefruit(s) in half. Using a small serrated knife or grapefruit knife, loosen the grapefruit sections from the membrane. Place the grapefruit halves on a baking sheet or shallow baking pan.
- Drizzle grapefruit halves with honey. Place banana slices on top and flip once to coat both sides with honey. Dust with ground ginger.
- Place under broiler until bubbling and slightly browned in spots, about 4 to 6 minutes. Keep an eye on during broiling to avoid burning.
- Serve warm.
- Ground cinnamon is a good substitute for ginger
- Don’t like bananas? How about some strawberry pieces!